Having had a terrific slice of banana bread the other day, I thought I would try a sugar free version. This recipe by Nadia Lim seems my style of cooking. Simple, not too many ingredients, pretty quick. I hope you enjoy it.
- butter or coconut oil 125g, melted
- very ripe bananas 3, mashed
- desiccated coconut 1½ cups
- ground almonds 1 cup
- flour (e.g. plain, spelt, gluten-free flour) ½ cup
- baking soda 1 level teaspoon
- vanilla essence or extract 2 teaspoons
- salt a good pinch
- free-range eggs 3, whisked
- banana 1 extra, to garnish (optional)
- ground cinnamon pinch of, to garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180 deg C. Line two small loaf tins (e.g. 3.5 cup capacity) with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, mix melted butter/oil, mashed banana, coconut, ground almonds, flour, baking soda, vanilla, salt and eggs. Stir until combined.
- Spoon mixture into prepared loaf tins, dividing equally. Peel and cut remaining banana (if using) in half length-ways and arrange a banana half on top of each loaf. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until loaves are golden and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Leave loaves to cool in tins for 5-10 minutes before removing and transferring to a wire rack. Very yummy slightly warmed and spread with a little butter! Store in an airtight container in a cool, dark place for up to three days, or in the fridge for up to five days. It also freezes well.
- You can make it into one large loaf instead of two smaller loaves, just cook about 10-15 minutes longer.
Nutritional information per serving
Kilojoules – 1057
Calories – 249
Carbs – 13g
Sugar – 7.8g
Total fat – 20.1g
Saturated fat – 12g
Protein – 4.7gLeave a reply