Now before you know it we are into February and it is back to school time! The holidays are over and it is school activities, sport, Girl Guides, Scouts, choir, dance and the dreaded school lunches. What to put in them that they will eat and not just throw in the bin, that are healthy, that are tooth friendly, easy and quick to do, can be made in advance with child help and frozen…… The list goes on! Well, we have some tooth friendly healthy lunchbox ideas for you.
- Wraps, sandwiches, rolls with vegemite, cheese, salad, egg, left over meats. (Not Nutella!)
- Veggie and protein muffins. (plain muffin mix and add whatever you want)
- Muffin pan fried rice cups. https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/muffin-pan-fried-rice-cups/l9XjJwlZ?r=healthy/o7hfes8p
- Frittata of all sorts of veggies and protein.
- Crispy vegie muffin pan fritters. https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/crispy-vegie-muffin-pan-fritters/Ad8MILVq
- Meat balls with sauce – chicken/beef/pork
- Any variety of meat savoury sausage rolls
- Noodle salads like https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/hokkien-noodle-salad/d232b19c-a76a-4f71-8520-69c48ec3fba2
- Carrot sticks, celery sticks, cucumber, corn cob. (already cut up in the supermarket even)
- Cheese cubes, salsa, hummus, dips and crackers.
- Roasted and flavoured chickpeas.
- Fruit in season. (also already chopped up in the supermarket)
- Dried fruit – just remember the sugar content of dried fruit is more than a piece of fruit. So if your child would eat a bunch of grapes then 15 – 20 sultana’s are about the equivalent.
- Water or fruit juice in a small drink bottle frozen for the warmer months can keep the lunchbox cool. Fruit drinks tend to have less fruit, more sugar and more packaging.
Try to avoid muesli bars, LCM’s and the like as their sugar content is really quite high! There is glucose, sugar, fructose, glucose syrup, golden syrup, maple syrup all on the labels which just equals sugar.
There is more information on a YouTube video for you. https://youtu.be/hyFxZDNQl1Y
We would love to see your pictures of a tooth friendly healthy lunchbox! Post them on our socials!
Another thing for the kids is that did you know there are two National Tooth Fairy Days in the US? The first is the 28th February 2023 and the next is 22nd August 2023. So on the 28th February there could well be staff dressed up as Tooth Fairies and friends for the day. Might be a good day to get the kids in for their dental check ups!
See you in the clinic! The Adelaide City Dental Care Team.
PS: check out our socials (Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram) for top tips for teeth, mouth and gums and dental family snaps! Maybe even the latest video on YouTube.Leave a reply